Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Week in Review

How great is is to have a 3-day weekend?  So great, I lost track of time! I have some new items to post today and later this week I want to post some fun outfit compilations from over the last couple of weeks.  Let's get to it!....

Experiment results

First a quick update on last week's experiments.  I tried to make my own matte nail polish, and I did what the recipe said and mixed cornstarch in to clear nail polish.  My nails turned out well:

My do-it-yourself matte nails
However, the cornstarch eventually settled into the clear polish and is stuck at the bottom.  It appears as though I will need to add more to use it again.  Since the polish is clear, it doesn't have those metal balls to help shake it up.  So, although it worked well, the polish itself seems to be flawed.

I also tried the baking soda mask, which worked okay, but I haven't noticed anything revelatory.  It was VERY rough, so, word of warning, be gentle!

The foundation trick was kind of a bust.  I felt like it just really didn't cover well.  I'm not going for a heavily-made-up look, but I don't feel like it covered at all.  Plus, it was messy to apply.  I think I'll stick to applying foundation in the regular manner.  Maybe I do need to use Mac Studio FX?

This week's haul:

Earlier last week I checked back in at the Macy's that is going to be closing down.  I didn't find much else, except for one shirt that was on clearance.
Macy's close-out for $12
Apparently they won't be fully closing down until the end of March, so I think there is some way to go on the markdowns.  I'll check back in a few weeks, but I was able to get better deals at a regular Macy's that is also close by.  I had a meeting that I wanted to look extra snazzy for this week, so I poked around "the other Macy's" and splurged a little on this:
Macy's Clearance for $34
I was inspired by a nice little article I read on Lucky.com (Lucky magazine's website- a perennial magazine fave) about things that you can purchase on clearance now, that will still be in style this spring and summer.  Bright blazers were one of them. 

So, even though I had a little splurge this week already, I went to Forever 21 as well and I found a whole jackpot of clearance finds.  All of their clearance stuff was an additional 50% off!!!  So I got the following:
F21 Blazer $6.99
F21 Necklace $6.80
F21 Sweater, $4.99
F21 Blazer, $10.99
 Remember my previous post about striking while the sale iron is hot?  Well, this was one of those occasions.  I have been on the lookout for a navy blazer (bottom pic), and for $10.99 you can't beat it!

I did end up going over budget this week, but plan on curbing all spending this week.  I have so much going on, I won't even make it out shopping!

This week's total:  $75.77
January total to date:  $156.27 (with about 1 week to go...)


No comments:

Post a Comment